The following is also recommended:
- Refrain from using a straw for several days or longer. The sucking motion could dislodge the natural blood clot that has formed after removal.
- If you smoke, do your best to avoid smoking for as long as possible after surgery. Tobacco smoke can slow healing and could raise your risk of infection.
- Avoid vigorous rinsing for a few days as well, as it could also dislodge the clot or impact your sutures. Don’t brush or floss for 24 hours after surgery and when your normal oral hygiene rituals resume, be cautious around the extraction site.
- There may be swelling after wisdom tooth removal. This should subside within a few days.
- Eat soft foods until discomfort has waned.